Sunday, February 24, 2013

Taking Time Out for THINK DAY


I know that I need to write every day to keep a book rolling, but there are some times that I am forced to skip. School visits usually knock out a writing day, as do unexpected domestic "emergencies"(pug dog corneal abrasion, anyone?) But my recent schedule now requires me to take every Tuesday off, so I have come up with a way to use it in the service of my book without actually writing. I call Tuesday THINK DAY. That's the day I put aside for all the little nagging questions of plot or frustrations with scenes that drag, etc. I can think about all this stuff in my car as long as I don't distract my mind with talk radio or news or loud music.(I listen to music at teenage volume--for the energy; not because I need a hearing aid...yet.) THINK DAY seems to be working okay so far. It's a way to stay on Writer's Island even as I keep my commitments, tote children to dance lessons and all that jazz.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to know pros like you aren't chained to your keyboard. I'll call Friday my Slink Day.
    Sincerely,
    Slinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I remember those days. Don't slink so well anymore...
    AARP

    ReplyDelete