Thursday, July 22, 2010

Head Writing vs. Heart Writing


I spoke too soon. No way can I write this boy book. I've tried and my characters aren't coming to life. I'm making up the things they say and moving them around, but they aren't real.

Yes, I said it. Some characters are real and others aren't. Real characters take on a life of their own. They speak to the writer even when she isn't writing. The boy I tried to write about was only an idea about a boy. And because he wasn't real, he left me to do all the heavy lifting with this story. As a result, I am exhausted.

So onward to yet another experiment. The next book might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it will have a girl in it. A girl with a beating heart! A girl to commiserate with as we ramble through the succeeding chapters! I look forward to it.

2 comments: