Monday, April 12, 2010

SCBWI Writer's Day Redux






Thanks to helpful SCBWI-er Rita Crayon Huang, I now have pictures of the Writer's Day speakers. From top to bottom: Libba Bray, Jill Corcoran, Rachel Abrams, Lisa Wheeler and me. And a good time was had by all.

I enjoyed reconnecting with Lisa. Her straightforward presentation on rhyming picture books made me want to try one (again). Meeting Libba Bray was a pleasure. I suspect she has a much more roomy brain than I do. She's a marathon writer with great scope. Jill Corcoran's talk on submitting queries made me realize that thanks to the internet, the game of submitting and researching potential agents and editors has changed greatly since the olden days. And Rachel Abrams, editor at Harper Collins, touched on every single thing a submitting author must know if she hopes to see a first book in print.

I talked a whole lot about the emotions a writer goes through trying to break in, doing revisions, getting dumped and succeeding at last. I wanted to hug everyone in the audience after I was done, because (as Marvin Gaye once said) we're all sensitive people. Sure, publishing is a business, but everyone is in it out of love. Keeping open is sometimes hard, but as writers, we don't know how to do it any other way.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a blast!

    And from what I've heard from Lisa (and others!) you were perfect.

    Funny, heart-felt, articulate and kind.

    Brava!

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very nice to me. I feel like I should send you some fudge.
    ko

    ReplyDelete
  3. No---you were very nice to me, letting me blather on a bit this afternoon.

    And goodness me! Don't send me fudge---I'll get fat! (hee)

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could have been there
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, Julie. I'll be in NYC in early June, though. Will you be around?
    KO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Maybe we can meet at the Met? Or perhaps the lobby of the Mandarin Orange.

    ReplyDelete