Monday, April 19, 2010

It Just Looks Like Lazy....


I was just telling a friend how unfashionable I feel. I can't multitask. I do one thing at a time and I go deep into the zone while I'm there. Sitting is a favorite activity, along with staring out the window. A lot goes on in my head, but I don't break a sweat. It looks like lazy from where you're sitting, I'm sure.

I also talk to myself. I'm constantly interrupted mid-conversation, too. So that looks nutty. I know I should be training for a marathon and booking school visits and cleaning the garage all simultaneously, but I'm happy eating a banana. In a chair. For like an hour.

And when I get up, I feel like I had a little adventure. But you wouldn't know it, because it looks like garden-variety sloth and lack of ambition from the outside.

Maybe I should mention that I do take a daily walk. It's part of my writing routine, really. Gets the juices flowing for more hours of sitting and sporadic typing. Oh, and I make coffee. That's pretty industrious, isn't it? I like to think so.

4 comments:

  1. It's like that wonderful observation about Eudora Welty---how she could write an entire *book* with material that Hemingway and Dos Passos couldn't fill a postcard with...

    And who wrote *A Worn Path*, possibly the best short short in the English-speaking world? Not Hemingway, I think...

    Zip

    ReplyDelete
  2. And would Hemingway write a story about a little girl who falls off a bike, gets a purple cast and glasses? Not at all!

    (Oo. Come to think of it, neither would Eudora Welty.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended Writers Day 2010 on April 11th. I want to thank you so much for your talk. I bought Orphie in Oz. When I got home. I read it. It is now one of my new favorite books. I cannot believe how much emotion you packed into this and how I connected with it. You set me a new standard. I am planning to re-read rphie and then go on to all your otherbooks before I do the next draft of Tasha - my mid grade novel.

    I hope you do not mind, but I am blogging the first line of Orphie in my next blog post for Pen and Ink http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com.
    Right now Kris's blog post is up on creative work spaces. I think I am next

    I am sorry this is a delayed thank you. The day after, I left for Hawaii to join my sister for an eleven day sojourn. We used to live in Kailua on Oahu and I love going back to see family and friends and lay on the beach under the ironwood trees (Love Beach. Do not love too much direct sun.) I finished changing my NaNoWrimo book into a readable first draft while I was there.
    Again, Tank you, THANK YOU for your writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you were inspired to tackle your book. And you now have a first draft, no less. You're on your way!

    PS--Reading a writer you like can really help sharpen your work. I read Cleary's GIRL FROM YAMHILL shortly before I came up with AGNES PARKER, a Cleary-esque character, herself.

    ReplyDelete