Sunday, March 28, 2010

Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful...


I adored this Cinderella when I was a kid. Leslie Ann Warren is an ocean of emotion--she yearns until her large brown eyes brim with tears. Just as quickly, when her hopes are dashed, she's reduced to chin-quivering desperation. She sits in "her own little corner" and lives a lot in her head. What's kept her going through a life of drudgery and serious underestimation? Her rich fantasy life! Even when she's dressed in a ball gown and enchanting a prince, she sings, "Is this the sweet invention of a lover's dream?" She's been dreaming so long, she can't quite accept it when reality finally lives up.

I swear, I spent most of my young life in that same space in my head. Life was actually pretty boring and not at all glamorous--but in my head? Fabulous. My favorite state of mind was a fervent yearning that bordered on ecstasy. I confess that I still go for it once in awhile. In my own little corner, of course.

1 comment: