Saturday, November 28, 2009

Research on Advertising's Colorful History

Since my latest novel, THE AVIARY, takes place at the beginning of the twentieth century, I've become interested in the early advertising I researched for the book.  When I learned that my local museum would be featuring a whole collection of early lithography, I knew I had to see it for myself.
   The exhibit is titled COLOR EXPLOSION--and it is a feast for the eyes.  The inks used in early color lithography are gorgeous and apparently pretty sturdy, as all the posters and calendars displayed were full of saturated hues.  The example I've displayed here is not one of the more colorful posters; but it is one of the most fun.  
   If you're in southern California before mid-February, catch the show at the beautiful Huntington Library and Gardens.  If you're like me, you won't be able to resist picking up a poster or two for yourself.  I chose two:  one for a gift and the other (a seed catalogue cover bursting with sunny yellow flowers) for my kitchen.  

1 comment:

  1. Amazing design. Fantastic work. That was really a great art work. It seems to be more impressive and beautiful. The Posters are used for many purpose that to communicate with the Public.

    ReplyDelete