Monday, August 31, 2009

American Girls Read My Mini-books

I'm a frequent contributor to American Girl Magazine (catch my new short story in the December '09 issue).   AG has taken a few of my stories and turned them into mini-books that accompany their doll clothes.  

Here is ALLY ACKERMAN IN THE PINK--a story about a girl who really, really does not like pink--sold with a pretty little pink dress with hearts.  

Seeing that all sorts of shades of pink are included in my own personal favorite colors, I was quite pleased.  And it was cool to go to the American Girl store in L.A. last week with my niece and show her the books prominently displayed.  

Frankly, one of the biggest thrills of working for AG is that they're a Mattel Company.  When I see the Mattel label on their correspondence, I can't help but think back to when "You can tell it's Mattel--it's swell!" was a refrain on children's TV ads all Saturday morning.  When I was a kid, Mattel was the great American toy maker.   In fact, Mattel was on par with the North Pole in those days when it came to toys kids wanted for their Christmas lists.  So don't blame me if I feel almost like an honorary elf, myself, nowadays.

Back to the workshop...


4 comments:

  1. I love American girl and read one of your agnes parker books and wrote a book report about it. I'm so happy that you write for american girl and will ask my mom to buy the magazine so i can read your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kala. You can find the magazine in many libraries, too.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the "Ally Ackerman In the Pink" book! What a cute story, and I just LOVE the Gabby character. I hope AG uses Ally again in future AG mini-books, and that you have more stories for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Nikki! That was a fun story to write. The funny thing is, I love pink. But as you know, so many things for girls are pink, I had to wonder what it was like for the person who absolutely hated the color.

    I don't know that there will be any more Ally and Gabby books, but I hope to write other stories for AG in the future.

    ReplyDelete